Sunday, April 6, 2008

Project Fan Scout

The Opening Tip.

So here is the deal, Yega1979 over on www.basketballforum.com said :

"They need to have someone go through and update the summaries of each player though...like someone who actually knows the player. For example, they describe Jarrett Jack as a "pure point guard", which is really the opposite of the truth.

It would be cool if there was a site where fans from each time could write scouting reports on each player"
So I thought to myself, "Self, that's not a bad idea. Maybe we should start one over here on blogger and eventually create a fan edited basketball scouting wiki for all active and prospective players.

My vision for this site is a database of scouting reports (with links to original sources), basketball related statistics (again, links to original source required) and fan written scouting reports from watching on TV and firsthand accounts. I'd like discussion and debate on the scouting reports as well. Scouting is subjective and what one person sees as a "great finesse game"someone else will see as "soft." There are a lot of factors like the system a player plays in or the players they play with that will effect a players stats. I'd like to go beyond the box score and illustrate the context that each player plays in (e.g. Monta Ellis able to play SG effectively because Baron Davis is a huge PG, or a PF who only gets 6-7 RPG because they play next to a dominant rebounding C).

So please, send in your scouting reports on whomever interests you and I will edit (as lightly as possible) and post your evaluations with your name (or user name) on them. Eventually,I'd like to incorporate wiki software and such. I hope to become the go-to place for player evaluations.

So you think you could to a better job than Isaiah Thomas? Prove it.

My wife is a web developer, so I hope to make the site more dynamic and interesting as time goes by. Please bear with me until I can make it all pretty ;-).


~Nathan










No comments: